Grants support Kohl’s overall diversity and inclusion strategy
MENOMONEE FALLS, Wis.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–Kohl’s (NYSE: KSS) announced today it is strengthening its commitment to the Milwaukee community with a $1 million donation to five nonprofit organizations that serve diverse communities. As part of Kohl’s pledge to create an environment where everyone feels a sense of equity, where diversity is valued at all levels, and where inclusion is evident across our business, the company created a new Diversity & Inclusion (D&I) framework addressing three pillars: People, Commerce and Community. This new donation is one action the company is taking to further support Community efforts.
The five benefiting nonprofits include three new Hometown partners — The Milwaukee Urban League, Employ Milwaukee (EMI), and Acts Housing — and a renewed commitment to two of Kohl’s existing Hometown partners — Safe & Sound and Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee. The partnerships reflect a joint commitment between Kohl’s and area nonprofits to improve equity and economic empowerment for Black and Hispanic residents in under-served communities in the Milwaukee area. In addition to financial contributions, Kohl’s will support the nonprofit organizations through associate volunteerism, leadership engagement and creating opportunities for a talent pipeline to Kohl’s.
“Kohl’s has a long history of supporting families in the Milwaukee community through our strong hometown partnerships, and we are very excited to bring on The Milwaukee Urban League, Employ Milwaukee and Acts Housing and increase our commitment to Safe & Sound and Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee,” said Michelle Gass, Kohl’s chief executive officer. “At a time when there is a clear call to action to do more to address inequities for People of Color, Kohl’s is committed to actions that support long-term sustainable progress in supporting these organizations. We look forward to sharing more of our plans and actions in the future to enhance diversity and inclusivity in our workplace, in our business and in the communities we serve.”
Kohl’s New Hometown Nonprofit Partnerships
- The Milwaukee Urban League: With its financial commitment of $150,000, Kohl’s will support The Milwaukee Urban League’s mission to lead through education, employment, and advocacy to achieve economic vibrancy and equal access to all industries and disciplines that position African Americans to create wealth and live a better quality of life. The Milwaukee Urban League’s vision is to ensure that Wisconsin becomes a top 10 place for African Americans to live and thrive and where the greater Milwaukee area becomes a leader in education and socioeconomic inclusion.
- Employ Milwaukee (EMI): Kohl’s donation of $250,000 to Employ Milwaukee will support workforce development and help the region to build a diverse, skilled workforce while connecting underrepresented individuals to quality, family-sustaining employment and career advancement opportunities.
- Acts Housing: Through its commitment of more than $250,000, Kohl’s will provide access to homeownership opportunities for low-income families, who in turn will help transform their blocks, neighborhoods, and even the city. Acts Housing believes that a safe, stable home provides a foundation for a family and can serve as a catalyst for success. By helping all families who are willing to put in the work to become homeowners, they provide a pathway out of the housing crisis and help build stronger communities.
- Safe & Sound: Kohl’s support of more than $175,000 will allow Safe & Sound to continue providing their unique model of community organizing and engagement that brings together residents, youth, and public safety resources. This support will also help lay the groundwork for the organization’s Collective Impact movement, which will bring together grassroots community organizations, resident leaders, youth, public safety agencies, local businesses and other community stakeholders to quantify the needs of neighborhoods and bring measurable progress and change to communities.
- Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee: Through a financial commitment of $150,000, Kohl’s will enhance its existing relationship with Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee, supporting the organization as it navigates challenges faced due to COVID-19.
Kohl’s Support of the Milwaukee Community
In 2019, Kohl’s donated more than $2.5 million and logged more than 2,500 volunteer hours for nonprofit organizations in the Milwaukee area that are focused on supporting diverse communities, including Hunger Task Force, COA Youth & Family Centers and Penfield Children’s Center. The funds support a variety of programs and initiatives that enrich community health and wellness, arts and culture, conservation, education, and social services.
Kohl’s Support of the Milwaukee Business Community
In addition to its philanthropic commitments, Kohl’s is contributing to the Milwaukee community through business and industry partnerships. Kohl’s is continuing its commitment to the Milwaukee Metropolitan Association of Commerce (MMAC) in support of the organization’s mission to improve metro Milwaukee as a place to invest capital, grow business and create jobs. Earlier this year, Kohl’s signed the MMAC’s Region of Choice Pledge commitment to increase the number of African-American and Hispanic/Latino employees in Metro Milwaukee by 15 percent, and the number of African-American and Hispanic/Latino managers in Metro Milwaukee by 25 percent, by 2025. The company is also a continuing member of the Greater Milwaukee Committee (GMC) in support of its mission to ensure Milwaukee is the best place to live, learn, work, play, and stay, and was an early signer of the GMC’s 2020 statement on racism and systemic inequities.
Kohl’s (NYSE: KSS) is a leading omnichannel retailer with more than 1,100 stores in 49 states. With a commitment to inspiring and empowering families to lead fulfilled lives, Kohl’s offers amazing national and exclusive brands, incredible savings and an easy shopping experience in our stores, online at Kohls.com and on the Kohl’s mobile app. Since its founding, Kohl’s has given more than $750 million to support communities nationwide, with a focus on family health and wellness. For a list of store locations or to shop online, visit Kohls.com. For more information about Kohl’s impact in the community or how to join our winning team, visit Corporate.Kohls.com or follow @KohlsNews on Twitter.
Julia Fennelly, firstname.lastname@example.org, 262.703.1710