Annual recognition program will honor 15 world-renowned leaders who have achieved landmark success within the global field of oncology
CRANBURY, N.J.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–#Breast–OncLive®, the nation’s leading multimedia resource focused on providing oncology professionals with relevant, insightful information on patient care, is pleased to announce the Eighth Annual Giants of Cancer Care® class of inductees. The virtual awards ceremony will be held on Nov. 5th at 7.30 pm EST and will be available on-demand at www.giantsofcancercare.com after the conclusion of the event.
“The members of the 2020 class of Giants of Cancer Care® are oncology legends who have made remarkable differences in the cancer care landscape,” said Mike Hennessy Jr., president and CEO of MJH Life Sciences™, the parent company of OncLive®. “Each inductee has worked tirelessly to advance the field of oncology with their contributions in research and clinical practice, and we look forward to recognizing these respected health care professionals at this year’s Giants of Cancer Care® virtual celebration in November.”
This year’s Giants of Cancer Care® inductees by award category are:
- Breast Cancer — Martine J. Piccart, M.D., Ph.D., Université Libre de Bruxelles and Jules Bordet Institute.
- Cancer Diagnostics — Laura J. van ’t Veer, Ph.D., Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco.
- Community Outreach/Cancer Policy — Clifford A. Hudis, M.D., American Society of Clinical Oncology.
- Education — Hope S. Rugo, M.D., FASCO, Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco.
- Gastrointestinal Cancer — Margaret A. Tempero, M.D., Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, San Francisco.
- Genitourinary Cancer — Dean F. Bajorin, M.D., Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and Weill Medical College of Cornell University.
- Gynecologic Malignancies — Robert L. Coleman, M.D., The US Oncology Network.
- Leukemia — Susan M. O’Brien, M.D., Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of California, Irvine.
- Lung Cancer — Tony S.K. Mok, M.D., The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Lymphoma — George P. Canellos, M.D., Dana-Farber Cancer Institute and Harvard Medical School.
- Melanoma & Other Skin Cancers — Keith T. Flaherty, M.D., Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center and Harvard Medical School.
- Myeloma — Sagar Lonial, M.D., Winship Cancer Institute of Emory University.
- Prevention/Genetics — Olufunmilayo Falusi Olopade, M.D., University of Chicago Medicine.
- Supportive, Palliative, and/or Geriatric Care — Richard J. Gralla, M.D., Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Jacobi Medical Center.
- Translational Science — Maura L. Gillison, M.D., Ph.D., The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.
The Giants of Cancer Care® program has celebrated more than 98 oncology legends since 2013 for their groundbreaking achievements in oncology research and clinical practice. Individuals named Giants of Cancer Care® have reached landmark successes within the global field of oncology and their work has significantly impacted patient care and research. Out of 818 nominations, only 15 oncologists were selected to the prestigious 2020 class of Giants of Cancer Care®.
The Giants of Cancer Care® Steering Committee selects semifinalists from nominations submitted each year and the Selection Committee—comprised of more than 120 eminent oncologists, clinicians and researchers—then votes on the finalists in each category.
For more information and to register to attend the virtual awards ceremony, click here.
Supporters of the 2020 program include Athenex, Incyte, and Pfizer.
OncLive® is a digital platform of resources offering oncology professionals the information they need to provide the best patient care. OncLive® is a brand of MJH Life Sciences™, the largest privately held, independent, full-service medical media company in North America dedicated to delivering trusted health care news across multiple channels.
About Giants of Cancer Care®
Giants of Cancer Care® celebrates the achievements of leading researchers and educators whose discoveries have helped propel the field of oncology forward and established the building blocks for future advances. Every year, a selection committee of more than 120 eminent oncologists, researchers and clinicians chooses honorees from several types of tumor and specialty categories.
John Patricolo, 609-325-4630